1889 ~THE GREAT CONNECTOR ~ TO THE
TOWN OF LLOYD ~ HIGHLAND, NEW YORK.
OF THE TRAIL
In the '70s the railroads stopped using the right-of-way after the bridge to Poughkeepsie partially burned. The absolute cause of the fire
is unknown, but it was a happy circumstance
for the railroad as it allowed them to break the links across to Connecticut where they had to share rates. From that point on, rail traffic headed north to Albany before heading to the east into New England. Both the right-of-way and the old bridge fell quickly into disrepair, with the right-of-way eventually being taken over by Ulster County.
In the years since the bridge has passed into and out of various hands all hoping someday to develop it into a pedestrian corridor across the Hudson becoming a vital link in the trail system in the Hudson Valley. The five-mile section of the old New York, New Haven, and Hartford Line from the old railroad bridge west to Route 299 was deeded to the Town of Lloyd after the County was able to recover back taxes by selling off the chunks leading to New Paltz and other pieces to local utility companies.